The Rational Male

RM_Cover

It took me much longer than it probably should have, but considering this book has been 12 years in the making I wanted something well designed with all the attention to detail it has due. I’m a perfectionist and an artist which makes for a very difficult combination when producing something I really care about. In my career I have been responsible for the concepts and branding of many successful products and projects, most of which I have no doubt the bulk of my readership would recognize were I to be completely honest. As tempting as it would be to boast about them, in the interests of protecting the integrity of those brands I can never really be specific about them, but for all of the products I’ve ever launched, for all of the promos and marketing I’ve done, for all of the money I’ve made for other (already wealthy) men, nothing has made me so nervous as clicking the ‘publish’ button on Createspace to approve the final draft of The Rational Male.

One thing I learned very early in my career was to never invest too much of myself into a brand or a project that was someone else’s idea. I’ve been instrumental in many collaborative ideas, but this book is the first work that I’ve been solely responsible for. I pray that it will make the impact I hope it will and reach the people who would otherwise never find this blog.

Roosh posted this on twitter this morning:

The manosphere may be divided, but its reach exploded in 2013. In 2014, its ideas will begin to infiltrate mainstream society. Bet on it.

I’m both scared and excited that The Rational Male might be included in this reach into the MSM. I’ve of course repeatedly written about the inherent dangers that red pill ideologies will only be vilified and ridiculed in a public forum controlled by the feminine imperative, but that’s something I’m going to have to come to terms with if red pill thought is to ever be taken seriously. I worry about how the impact of this book will affect my personal life, my career, and probably a lot of other aspects of my life that I haven’t yet considered.

For now the book is available on the Createspace store at this link:

In about a week it will be listed on Amazon and I’ll announce it when it hits.

Late Edit: The Rational Male is now available on Amazon Thanks to the preorders on Createspace the book was expedited to Amazon – and yes you can buy it internationally.

And now Kindle is good to go too:

There will be a Kindle version as well, but I think an e-format kind of defeats the purpose of the physical book. I probably fucked up a few things grammatically, I had an editor and a proofer, but this is a rookie effort. I’d also like to apologize to all the reader who’ve emailed me for advice or consults in the past 6 months. The book has been my primary focus for the last 8 months so I look forward to getting back to the blog again – I haven’t forgotten any of you and I’ll be getting back to you soon.

I’ve never written a book before, but I’ve been writing for almost 14 years now. It’s been a real learning process. Reading material I’ve written and rewritten since 2000 is a little like reading the thoughts of someone else.

What you’ll read are a refinement of the core ideas and concepts I’ve formalized on The Rational Male. I began The Rational Male at the request of my readers on various men’s forums and comments on blogs in the ‘manosphere’ in 2011. After the popularity of the blog exploded inside a year it became apparent that a book form of the basic principles was needed for new readers as I moved past them, and built upon the prior concepts.

For the most part I’ve rewritten and edited for publishing the blog posts of the first year at Rational Male. I’ve left in most of the jingoisms and acronyms that are characteristic of the blog and are commonly used in the manosphere, however I’ve made every attempt to define them as I go along.

Furthermore, many of the concepts I explore in this book came from a question by one of my readers. As with most commenters, their anonymity is assumed in the form their online ‘handle’. The important thing to remember is the concept being discussed and not so much the importance of who is proposing or contradicting a concept.

Before you begin reading

The primary reason I decided to codify the Rational Male into a book came from a reader by the name of Jaquie. Jaquie was an older, married woman, who genuinely took to what I proposed about inter-gender dynamics on Rational Male. Jaquie wasn’t exactly a typical reader for me, but she asked me to help her understand some concepts better so she could help her son who was about to marry a woman whom she knew would be detrimental to his life. Jaquie said,

“I wish you had a book out with all of this stuff in it so I could give it to him. He’s very Beta and whipped, but if I had a book to put in his hands he would read it.”

So it is for the sons of Jaquie’s that I decided to put this book out. And it’s in this spirit that I’ll need to ask you, the reader, to clear your head of a few things before you begin to digest any of it.

The Rational Male literally has millions of readers world-wide, so there’s a strong likelihood that you’ll buy this book to keep on a shelf and loan to friends because you’re already familiar with its concepts. There’s a certain power and legitimacy that the printed word has that a blog or some online article lacks, so if you already are a Rational Male reader be sure you do loan the book out, or encourage the plugged-in to read and discuss it.

If you are picking this book up for the first time, or had it handed to you by a friend or loved one, and have never heard of the Rational Male or the manosphere or have had any exposure to the ideas I put forth here, I’ll humbly ask that you read with an open mind.

That sounds like an easy cop out – open your mind – it kind of sounds like something a religious cult would preface their literature with. We all like to think we already have open minds and we’re all perfectly rational, and perfectly capable of critical thinking.

I ask you to clear your head of the preconceptions you have of gender because what you’re about to read here are very radical concepts; concepts that will challenge your perspective on women, men, how they interact with each other, and how social structures evolve around those relations. You will violently disagree with some of these concepts, and others will give you that “ah ha!” moment of realization. Some of these concepts will grate on the investment your ego has in certain beliefs about how men and women ought to relate with each other, while others will validate exactly the experiences you may have had personally with them. Some are ugly. Some are not complementary of women and some of men, you’ll think I’m a misogynist on first glance because it’s the default response you’ve been taught to react with. For others, you might feel some kind of vindication for getting burned by your ex and realizing what was at play when it happened. I realize it’s a tall order, but strive not to let your personal feelings color what I lay out for you here.

You’ll love me and you’ll hate me. You’ll think “well, not in my case, and here’s why,..” or you’ll think “wow this is some really ground breaking stuff.” I’m not a psychologist, or a PUA, or a men’s rights activist, or a motivational speaker. I’m just a guy who’s connected some dots.

0 0 votes

Matt
Matt

Just ordered, really looking forward to this one.

Kate
Kate

@xplat: I love that idea as it benefits both new readers and Rollo. Its funny you mentioned the libraries as I was thinking about purchasing a couple copies for the two in my area. Imagine if every reader was able to do that. Since divorced men really are my soft spot, I was trying to think of the appropriate source to get the book into the hands of lawyers to share with their clients? Maybe gregg would have an idea about how to do that? And just one other thought to add to the brainstorming is for Rollo to consider… Read more »

Hunter
Hunter

Friday FR: After watching the 1-hour infleld footage vid from RSD, headed out and went out with my wing. His commitment to the game has been questionable in the past, but whatever, he’s here now so we do a quick warmup (high fiving and saying hi to random girls) and then walk right into a bar and talk to the first girls we see. It was still pretty early in the night so not a lot of people. Basically nothing to record on this set. We talked for maybe 20-25 mins and there was no real sexual tension happening in… Read more »

deti
deti

Well done, Rollo, well done. My copy will be on order as well.

I echo Morpheus at Just Four Guys when he says that this will be the book I wish I had available and were able to read at age 13, 14 or 15. It will be a must for any high school Man in training.

Whiskey Hammer

Remember when you worried about formatting in the Kindle? Good call. Its a white-space nightmare.

Reply to  Whiskey Hammer

Yeah I may pull it and reload, at least in can do live updates

kurtzthekid

So I just got my copy in the mail about 5 minutes ago. I opened to the table of contents, just to get a feel of how it was organized, when BAM, right there, before anything else-

There is no ONE

I’m absolutely thrilled that you put that chapter first. That’s been what I’ve tried to convince my father of the most when bringing up Red Pill topics.

It’s a beautiful book Mr. Tomassi, and heftier than I was expecting for a first foray into printed word. I’ll be diving into it after my midterm.

Reply to  kurtzthekid

Thanks man, I’m glad you like it. I put a lot effort into the organization and layout.

Seven Dials

Downloaded to my Kindle and soon to be read. Congratulations.

Reply to  Seven Dials

Seven let me know how it lays out for you. I’m probably going to do my own ePub instead of letting kindle do the conversion.

Ondrej
Ondrej

Just ordered from british Amazon, I was pleased that the price is the same as in the US which is almost always NOT the case.

earl
earl

Got the kindle version…I look forward to reading it.

pytski
pytski

Stefan Molyneux should get a copy as well.

Thanks Earl.

Stefan Molyneux?

Hunter
Hunter

Hey Rollo, sort of posting my FR’s here cuz Heartiste is slow in moderating the comments. Yareally’s been a great help! And totally support the blog as I’ve lurked on here many a time. Now without further ado: Saturday FR – Me and my wing meetup and go out after watching more Tyler infield footage (seeing what’s possible gets me pumped). We walk straight into another bar and instantly my wing freezes up (I think I’m gonna go back to doing the games with him cuz he does this way too much). I kind of get frustrated and go off… Read more »

Aeroguy
Aeroguy

Congratulations on getting the book out, now that we all ordered one off Amazon I hope you can come up with a way to get our books signed!

dragnet
dragnet

Just bought a copy. Congrats!

tom
tom

jesus just what we needed, i’m going to translate it as soon as i get it… (is it illegal? heh) i want to spread the word: most of my friends and acquaintances are terminally fucked up… i feel pity for those fuckers… [for instance: 25 years old guy grabbed on a leash by a 33 y.o. hardcore decaying femminist… yeah this kind of crap] well i’ll send them anyway a copy. this one is going to stay right next to the bible haha; no kidding.

Reply to  tom

@Tom, what language? I’m serious.

LiveFearless

@Mebus “The Rational Male” by Rollo Tomassi has risen to the top. Top 500 U S (among more than 5,000,000 books) Top 50 UK Self-Help/UK ‘Practical & Motivation’ Top 30 U S in ‘Personal Transformation’ You quoted my comment “Anyone not ordering within 24 hours is a loser that will continue to complain.” and you wrote not everyone here lives in the US and hence wants to wait up to several weeks for the book to arrive I completely agree. Note the key words ordering the book within 24 hours. Ordering means placing the order for the book – that… Read more »

kuis
kuis

I’m going to buy 3-5 copies in the next week or so. Need to clear my credit card first 🙂

DonJuan_DeRosco
DonJuan_DeRosco

Brilliant! Just purchased on Amazon UK, I’ve been waiting for this for some time as I think you put forward the discussions better than anyone and your insights are always enlightening, reasoned and interesting.

Good Job Rollo, Can’t wait to read it!

Fabrice
Fabrice

@Rollo
In french & Spanish

earl
earl

Mofo
Mofo

Congrats, Rollo. Been following you for about a year and a half, first post. Will definitely order the hard copy. Going to do like Hunter above and post a report from this past weekend–having trouble posting at CH. Hoping to inspire older dudes like myself who are trying to game younger women. As a former rock musician, I don’t really run night game because I can’t hear shit in bars, but hopefully the below will be helpful. The HB9 I bagged this weekend was admittedly not my first–I was, after all, a greater beta/sensitive musician in my prior life with… Read more »

Laguna Beach Fogey

Just received my copy.

Impressive. Looks like a really serious, comprehensive work. A primer on Game, if you will.

Starting with ‘The Basics’.

Peace out.

Rollo Tomassi

How’s the production quality?

b-166-er
b-166-er

Rollo, thank you for taking the additional time and effort to produce a physical volume of the book. Electronic versions are fine, but no one can see it when you walk around, or when you sit at a coffee shop with it… So that is one reason Im glad you produced a physical book. The other one, is so I can give it to men as a gift (birthday, graduation, going away…) There have been too many times Ive watched men being lead to the “slaughter house” and said nothing because I was too close to them and didn’t want… Read more »

Reply to  b-166-er

@b-166-er, exactly my reason for doing so. Glad you like it.

Coyy
Coyy

Congratulations Rollo,
I have to say your concepts cleared everything for me. I like the way you propose and progress ideas and how the concepts are chained to form a complete picture.

I am sure the book will do well.

Paavali Jaskanen
Paavali Jaskanen

Terve, Rollo.

Greetings from Finland. Grabbed two hardcopies, one for my friends and one for my personal bookshelf. I wish great success to your book (eventhough i havent read it yet!) and hopefully we will see msm covering it..

Plumnuts
Plumnuts

Ordered this yesterday, never commented here before, always been a lurker… but have always appreciated the clarity. I’m hoping that this’ll be the book that I’ll be able to lend out to a few friends who are interested in what I regurgitate to them but who are also turned off by the idea of PUA or find the manosphere to be too misogynistic for them to really take it seriously.

Laguna Beach Fogey

Production quality is solid, certainly better than I expected. A few minor typos. No index. Type is a bit too small for my taste. So far this book has exceeded expectations. I’m old school, so aggregating various internet articles into a single book that I can pick up and hold and read makes the most sense. I’m fairly new to Game in a formal sense, too, having ‘swallowed the red pill’ in my own fashion in my mid-20s, so this book is perfect. I wish I had had a basic resource like this at the time, but better late than… Read more »

Rollo Tomassi

Got my first review! Thank’s Karma.

The One Reason
The One Reason

Received the book today. Solid work, the finer paper quality, layout and fonts didn’t disappoint, just what I did expect. Heh. Kudos for the use of a smaller font, too often a large font is used to “expand” the pagecount. This one is solid.

I like how the feminine imperative/mystique etc. societal basics are once more crystallized at the end, to make their effect in modern men’s thinking especially clarified.

Expect a lot of flak on the definition of Alpha. 🙂

Redwood Raven
Redwood Raven

Just submitted the order.

Trini
Trini

Congrats man! Hey Rollo, do you have an email address I can reach you at? I need to reach you on an important issue. Thanks

Reply to  Trini
Zilver
Zilver

Ordered a paperback copy on Amazon a few seconds ago.

Afer all those great articles it’s the least I could do.

Reply to  Zilver

Thanks Zilver

Charmer
Charmer

As someone who was recently referred to your website, I sincerely wish you great success with this book. There are way too many great guys out there who are trying to do the right thing who simply don’t get women and we all know some of the reasons why that’s not entirely their fault. The material in this website and this book needs to reach the mainstream to help fix this problem.

iwjan
iwjan

Congratulations! and “Thank You” for all of the knowledge you’ve shared.

The RedPill wisdom provided by yourself and others throughout the manosphere has been nothing short of life changing for me. It is greatly appreciated.

Just purchased three copies from Amazon…best of luck going forward.

8to12

Got your book. A couple of technical notes: 1) The font is too small on the print book. I Compared it to 10 random paperbacks and your book has–by far–the smallest font. It looks like you are using Times New Roman 8 point. The books I compared it to ran from 10-13 points. Give us older guys a break. Fonts that small are hard to read when your eyesight isn’t what it was in your youth. Truth is, had I picked this book up in a bookstore I would not have purchased it based on the small font size alone.… Read more »

Lysander

Just received my copy. Maybe it’s my age interfering with my eyesight, but the font is really small. I’m sure there were rational reasons for going with that size (i.e. keeping page count reasonable, etc.) If you download old books which Google is in the process of scanning from the 1800s, believe it or not, the formatting for these treasures is quite perfect for digital versions. Very wide margins and I *think* an 18-24 point font was standard back then. At any rate, thanks for the knowledge, you did a great job at completing this project.

Lysander

themaskandrose

Rollo–your book just arrived. Since you are one of my Red Pill heroes, I’m going to post a link on my blog to the purchase page on Amazon.

Every man needs a copy of this book, and I thank you for your service.

gregg
gregg

Great. I salute to every guy willing to share knowledge among young men and I definitely support every MATURE, EXPERIENCED and analytical guy, willing to do this. I am in my late thirties and when my generation were young there was simply nothing! There were no manospehre, no pua forums, no internet debates..nothing. We were left to informations provided by our dads and pals and you know that guys do not like to share details from their romantic life. As a reason, our generations were raised up blinded not only by steam from our gonads (as every young man), by… Read more »

Sisyphus
Sisyphus

A single chapter of this book will positively influence more men than three year’s worth of sermonizing, preaching, and sarcasm from Matt King.

For that reason alone, I’m buying a copy.

Water Cannon Boy
Water Cannon Boy

How long before a female critic tries to credit women for trying to get men to step up all along and say now maybe the book will help?

themaskandrose

Rollo:

As a favor to you, in return for the wealth of knowledge you’ve shared with me over the years via my reading your blog, I posted about your book on my blog,

themaskandrose.wordpress.com,

Along with a link to both your blog and the Amazon order page for your book.

My blog enjoyed the front-page of Reddit all day yesterday, so hopefully I am helping you to expand viewership and make more people aware of the awesomeness that is The Rational Male.

Keep doing what you’re doing man, you’re like the father that most of us wish we’d had.

Aniketh
Aniketh

Rollo , I am from India and I need the book but due to the currency conversion, it is pretty expensive in Rupees. I am a correspondent student who works in day time. Can you suggest something here ? Would love to read the book.

sal ceech
sal ceech

Rollo

Congratulations on finishing this project Thank you for the dedication that was put into it.As I said if you had gone with the traditional bookstores i would look forward to a signed copy Very well done Combah.

Stingray

Congratulation, Rollo. You’ve put in an amazing amount of work and I hope it reaches a great number of men.

Graeme
Graeme

Just ordered my copy, I think you could hit a wider audience if you set up a facebook group

thegreatshebang
thegreatshebang

Congrats Rollo. Good luck with positive and negative publicity. Enjoy the ride. Ordered and apparently has shipped.

DestroyToCreate
DestroyToCreate

Just got my hardcopy from Amazon. Two comments. First the quality of the book itself, the design, layout, typography, etc. is better than many books from the big publishing houses, congrats on a great job. Second, as for the content, I’ll be giving copies as gifts to my younger cousins and keeping mine for, one day, perhaps, a son.

Whiskey Hammer

Two observations and a question. 1) The hard-copy and the kindle edition dont seem to be tied together on amazon. Normally when a book is offered in multiple formats those formats will be found as cue buttons under the title, where the box labeled “Paperback” currently is. But for The Rational Male the only button is for the paperback and its already spawned at least one buyer comment/question about the availability of the kindle version (under Savage’s review). 2) Just added The Rational Male to the Goodread’s book database and recommendation engine. Its one of the most popular websites of… Read more »

Reply to  Whiskey Hammer

@Whiskey, thanks for the info. I’m still working out the Kindle bugs. I will be doing the extended distribution option and I’m also going to go with Smashwords to hit every other distribution channel (Barnes & Noble for instance). I want to get the book into bookstores for real.

Thanks for the Goodreads idea. I hadn’t thought of that.

Love's Orphan
Love's Orphan

I got my copy today. I liked the fact that you mentioned the different sides (heartiste, dalrock etc) of the manosphere in the end. Great job, Rollo.

Jack.Rayner

I’ve been randomly reading several of your posts during the last few months, and I have to say I’m impressed. You put words to many of the things I’ve been observing my whole life, but which the mainstream, to include both men and women, have been busy trying to make me stop questioning and thinking about.

I’ll be sure to sell friends on your book, and to let them borrow my copy should they happen to be cheap bastards. Congrats!

bob
bob

“I don’t want to give too much away…but big props on describing what real Power is. It was a long strange trip for me to discover that.”

Would you care to elaborate a bit on that please? Not a direct quote from the book of course, but I feel like this is some kind of cornerstone in game and yet we never talk about it.

Reply to  bob
bob
bob

Thank you.

nipnup
nipnup

I know it’s going to be a waste of money to me (I first stumbled across PUA right around the time you start the book at and while I agree with most of the concepts, they are lost on me) but consider my buying of the ebook as a token of appreciation for running an island of relative sanity in the otherwise rather crazy and vitriolic manosphere…

Reply to  nipnup

I try, thanks

nipnup
nipnup

Appreciated. It’s one of the few resources I could actually send people to read up on (the other one probably being privateman). The rest? Not so sure. Though I will admit I really enjoyed the early roissy, heartiste? not so much…

I was actually laughing my ass off when some guy I had met a couple of times before wanted to talk me into help him “opening the set” (in that very words), last Saturday. So yes, the whole scene is definitely making strides even on this side of the pond.

Ondrej
Ondrej

The book arrived to the Czech Republic!:-)

ConnorBryant

Nice. Will check out the book. Cover looks good, if that’s what it actually is?
I appreciate that youve taken the time and crafted it too.

There’s a great book on discipline, willpower and how to build them to succeed in all goals for guys over at;

Good stuff

Blue eyed Alpha
Blue eyed Alpha

Very good stuff Rollo. Loved it. Reading your unique style for about a year. My ONEitis stemmed from a post wall single mommy who then became an invisible friend. Despite having hooked up with 2 others since then I am STILL recovering from this 3 year ride. And despite some brutal betatude in the middle year, this HB 7 still tattoed my likeness on her body in the 3rd year. Forever Alpha Ill be to at least one girl even 30 years from now. The invisible friends topic resonates with me… Her memory is my ONLY remaining connection to blue… Read more »

kuis
kuis

Bought two copies today.

Dr.Helen posted a thread about your book too: http://pjmedia.com/drhelen/2013/10/05/the-rational-male/#comments

Sean
Sean

Rollo, I found this web site and book via a link from Instapundit/Dr Helen. Though I think I’ve seen you post on another mainstream “relationship” forum (Could be wrong about that) this was my first look at the “manosphere”. I’d been aware of the PUA stuff but never took it seriously. Reading your book, it confirmed a lot of what I’ve always known but could never analyze and explain the way you did. It also caused me to see things I didn’t realize I’d been doing my whole life. Bad mistakes that I’m now going to work on fixing. While… Read more »

Jacquie
Jacquie

Congratulations, Rollo! Thank you. I sent an email.

Kuis
Kuis

Rollo, it’s a very good book and i am glad i bought it. I will post a review on amazon soon. However, i must admit that i am somewhat disappointment that you neglected to develop your Feminine Imperative thesis beyond what has been posted on the blog. I understand that you are time pressed. Having said that, I believe a historical analysis would really add depth and breadth to the concept.

If i ever return to academia i might have to get in touch you with Rollo 😉

Glenda
Glenda

I’d really like a hardback copy

J